Vashon Island Fire and Rescue is opening its Firefighter One Academy up to the public for self-pay. Our six-month course offers small class size which means lots of hands-on time for every student. Our Academy in the past has been just for our Volunteers, many of whom have gone on to receive full-time Career jobs at our and other departments. We now want to open our quality program to the public. For the most current information please visit our website www.vifr.com under the Fire Academy Tab.
DATES: Start Date: 12-19-2018 End Date: 05-19-2018
Orientation: December 19, 2017 at 1730. Books and recruit clothing will be issued at Orientation.
First class: January 2, 2018.
Graduation: May 19, 2018
Class Times: Tuesday and Thursday 1730-2030; Saturdays 0830-1730; a few Sundays for state training (Class calendar will be published soon).
The primary location for training will be the Penny Farcy Training Center, 10019 SW Bank Rd, Vashon Island WA 98070.
One or more weekend sessions will be held at the Washington State Fire Training Academy in North Bend, WA. Details will be published with the class calendar.
COST: The cost of the academy is $2,000. This includes books, academy shirts and in-class testing fees. Payment is due in full one week before the orientation and is non-refundable. If needed, rental cost for PPE is about $650 for the duration of the academy. See "Supplies" section for details.
SUPPLIES: Applicants must provide their own:
• 6”-8” black steel-toe boots either slip-on (such as Redback) or zippered
• Plain navy blue sweatpants-at least 50% cotton.
• Navy Blue Nomex Trousers
• Black Belt
(The above items can be purchased through retailers noted under "Uniform Items" the "Resources" section below.)
• Recruits are responsible to supply their own PPE.
The required PPE can be rented from "Turnout Rental" vendors noted in the "Resources" section below; rental cost is about $650.00 for the duration of the academy. Due to the high cost of this gear and the high rate of wear that it experiences over just a few academies, it is not cost effective for VIFR to maintain serviceable, NFPA approved PPE for recruit use during academies.
REQUIREMENTS: The VIFR Fire Academy must have at least 8 students and will have no more than 16. Prior to the beginning of Academy, all applicants must provide valid & current proof of CPAT testing with any of the recognized providers attached below. All applicants must be 18 years of age by the time Academy starts.
Firefighter Recruit Academy Pre-Requisites
• 18 years of age
• High school diploma or GED
• Valid driver’s license
• Completed physical agility assessment from sponsoring agency or CPAT evaluation (see providers below)
• Medical insurance
• Medically certified per National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 1582 or sponsoring agency medical evaluation requirements, including clearance to wear a respirator (SCBA)
• CPR and First Aid certification
• Hold Harmless form signed, or sponsoring agency’s evidence of insurance.
• For Self Pay recruits: $37 NON REFUNDABLE cash or check for a background check.